I’m Alex Wiltshire. I write and consult on videogames, design and technology. I write for publications including Rock Paper Shotgun, PC Gamer, Gamasutra, Eurogamer and Edge, and I edited the book Britsoft: An Oral History. I’m author of the Minecraft Blockopedia and Mobestiary, I work as a publishing editor for Mojang, and I am also a member of the PC gaming podcast The Crate & Crowbar.
I’ve previously been head of communications at Sensible Object, working on the tabletop/videogame hybrid Beasts of Balance. I was a co-curator of the V&A Museum’s Videogames: Design/Play/Disrupt exhibition during its early stages. And from April 2013 to August 2015 I was communications manager at Hello Games, where I worked on No Man’s Sky.
Before joining Hello Games I was editor of Edge, where I worked for six years across its magazine and website. I developed my journalism career on the design and architecture magazine Icon and as a web editor for Channel 4.
I’ve written about videogames, design and technology for many other publications, including New Statesman, Dezeen, Disegno, Creative Review, and Architects’ Journal, and wrote various entries in the books Design: The Whole Story and 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die.
I speak frequently at literary events on Minecraft, as well as universities and industry events such as the Develop conference, and regularly serve on judging panels, including the BAFTA Games Awards and IGF.
I live in Bath, UK, with my wife and two children.
Things I’ve written
I write a fortnightly column on game design for Rock Paper Shotgun called The Mechanic, which takes deep dives into the stories behind specific design features. Some of my faves are on Playerunknown’s Battleground’s cargo plane, how Playdead designed Inside’s levels, and the long, hard, journey behind the design of Dead Cells’ player builds.
Here’s work I’ve recently referenced, though check my Twitter for more up to date articles:
- On Donut County’s hole and Exapunks’ code - Sep 14, 2018
- I wrote a chapter in the V&A’s Videogames book - Sep 4, 2018
- The precarious business of living off modding - Aug 18, 2018
- The daunting aftermath of releasing your dream game - Aug 13, 2018
- I wrote the Minecraft Mobestiary - Oct 5, 2017
- The beauty of GTA V through selfies - Jul 14, 2017
- Articles I wrote in January - Feb 2, 2017
- A year of The Mechanic - Jan 1, 2017
- Britsoft reviews - Dec 27, 2016
- The Mechanic - Jul 22, 2016