I have also written many books, including Britsoft: An Oral History and Minecraft Blockopedia. You can find the full list of my books here.
My most recent is a book called Japansoft: An Oral History. I’m currently working on an unannounced title for Thames & Hudson.
I also work as publishing editor for Mojang, the developer of Minecraft, where I uphold its high standards for officially licensed books and other merchandise. It means I guide the development of novels, comics, guides and sales literature for Minecraft.
And I’m a member of the popular PC gaming podcast The Crate & Crowbar, where I chat with my friends about cool games and design, sometimes coherently.
I frequently speak at literary events on Minecraft, at universities and industry events such as the Develop conference, and regularly serve on judging panels, including the BAFTA Games Awards and IGF.
I’ve previously been head of communications at Sensible Object, working on the tabletop/videogame hybrid Beasts of Balance. I was a co-curator of the V&A Museum’s Videogames: Design/Play/Disrupt exhibition during its early stages. And from April 2013 to August 2015 I was communications manager at Hello Games, where I worked on No Man’s Sky.
Before joining Hello Games I was editor of Edge, where I worked for six years across its magazine and website. I developed my journalism career on the design and architecture magazine Icon and as a web editor for Channel 4.
Things I’ve written
A few of my favourite things here:
- Cuttings - A reflection on collecting, memory, and my grandma’s dementia
- Tactics - Advance Wars versus chess versus my mate Dave
- Last Day of School - My son, Spelunky, and open-ended games
Elsewhere, I write a fortnightly column on game design for Rock Paper Shotgun called The Mechanic, which takes deep dives into the stories behind specific design features. Some of my faves are on Playerunknown’s Battleground’s cargo plane, how Playdead designed Inside’s levels, and the long, hard, journey behind the design of Dead Cells’ player builds.
Here’s work I’ve recently referenced (check my Twitter for more up to date articles):
- Mechanic catch-up - Feb 18, 2020
- On Japansoft: An Oral History - Jan 16, 2020
- Cardboard, asteroids and other things I’ve written about - Sep 15, 2019
- I’m editing Japansoft: An Oral History - Jan 9, 2019
- On Donut County’s hole and Exapunks’ code - Sep 14, 2018
- I wrote a chapter in the V&A’s Videogames book - Sep 4, 2018
- The precarious business of living off modding - Aug 18, 2018
- The daunting aftermath of releasing your dream game - Aug 13, 2018
- I wrote the Minecraft Mobestiary - Oct 5, 2017
- The beauty of GTA V through selfies - Jul 14, 2017